In honor of National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day, here’s our recommended recipe to make this traditional pie as well as a twist on the original, using white chocolate!
TEXAS CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
Recipe for 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces, lightly toasted
- Combine flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of ice water over the mixture. Process some more just until moist clumps form, adding teaspoons of water as needed if the mixture appears dry.
- Gather the dough into a ball and then flatten it into a disk. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- On a flour-covered surface, roll out the dough to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Trim the overhang to 1 inch; fold under and crimp decoratively. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir the chocolate and butter over low heat until melted. Let it cool slightly.
- Whisk brown sugar, eggs and salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in the corn syrup and chocolate mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sprinkle pecans over the unbaked crust, then pour the filling over the pecans. Bake for about 55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the filling is puffed.
Let the pie cool down completely before serving.
WHITE CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE
Recipe for 8 to 10 servings
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups pecan halves and pieces
- 1 cup (about 5 ounces) finely chopped good-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Baker's)
- 1 Flaky Pie Crust
- Additional pecan halves, toasted
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg and egg yolk in large bowl until light. Add brown sugar; beat for about 5 minutes or until the mixture forms soft ribbons when you lift the beaters. Mix in corn syrups, butter, vanilla and salt. Stir in 2 cups of pecans and 3/4 cup of white chocolate.
- Position the rack in the center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Transfer the filling to the crust. Bake for about 1 hour, until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. Tent the pie with foil if it looks like the crust is browning too quickly. Transfer the pie to the rack and cool completely.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of white chocolate in small metal bowl. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and set the bowl of chocolate atop the saucepan, stirring until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate decoratively over the cooled pie. Arrange toasted pecans around the edge.
Serve pie at room temperature.