Studio Snaidero Chicago designer Shawna Dillon gives some quick advice on closet design to help keep clothes organized and ready to wear.
- Use multiple, separate hanging rods instead of a single one stretching across the width of the closet. This will help you group like clothes (or even like colors) together.
- Having separate hanging rods maximizes space as they can be placed at different heights. However, make sure you keep the items you wear the most readily displayed at eye level.
- Accessorize drawers with dividers for neat storage of things like lingerie, socks, ties and belts.
- Keep pants separate with trouser racks.
- Have shelves built just above each hanging rod to make the most of all available space.
Use the shelves to hold boxes where you can store loose items that wouldn’t otherwise have an assigned place (accessories, scarves, etc.)
How do you like to organize your closet space?